Families and friends of children are beginning preparations for the coming summer holiday months. Kids of all ages will be home from school during 10 warm weeks, and keeping them engaged and cool are keys to everyone’s happiness.
In our home, we aim to guide our children through their senses, the gateways to communing with nature. Facilitating nature connections allows these budding beings to learn from the original guru, mother nature herself.
Planting the seeds to ignite children’s imagination takes a little intention and inspired invention on the homefront.
Here is a simple list of 5 suggestions to help keep your kids immersed within earth’s playground:
1) Have you developed a relationship with some wild lands close by, and would you like to learn how to comfortably wild forage there with the kids? If you have yet to build your comfort levels in discerning which plants are edible, try creating some herbariums that will help you get to know your local flora. It is an exciting process to press a plant and cultivate the patience to open it up once fully dried. There are so many creative options that can house your pressed plant. Check out some of these gorgeous ideas!
2) Freezing flavoured beverages turns a quick to be guzzled drink into timeless moments savouring a cool treat outdoors. Some great flavours we use to enhance our popsicles are Harmonic Arts Syrups mixed with water, or in combination with any of our tea blends. An especially favourite variation is either Atmospheri-tea or Green Qi tea popsicles, enhanced with seasonal wild foraged berries!
3) What are some of the herbs in your children’s preferred tea or syrup blends? See if you can identify some of these plants in your region, linking your kids to an even deeper connection with the natural roots of their simple joys. Look for a bioregional guidebook specific to your area, and track down some favourite edible and medicinal plants!
4) Hit the beach or forest, without any other agenda than being present with your kids. You will likely enjoy yourself more, and help set the kids up to safely surrender into the surrounding cradle of magic, cast by nature’s elementals!
5) A fun way I’ve been able to enhance my children’s diets (especially with an extremely picky little one!) is through growing the fruits and vegetables that are main ingredients in some of their favourite foods. Ketchup, pickles, sauerkraut, syrups and sauces are all favourite kitchen creations we love to make together. My kids enjoy starting the recipe off by planting a seed, or harvesting in the wild. They fill up with enthusiasm knowing that their efforts will enhance some of their favourite dishes.
All of these activities are Connections that can be very Healing in Nature. Not only does it expand a child’s reality and aptitude, but increases their ability to read the signs they’re designed to recognize in our natural environment. It facilitates a level of wellness that is foundational in the resilience required to maintain balance in a world abound with divergence.
Please comment below and share some of your favourite ways in which you’ve had a special time being excited in nature with kids!
Angela Willard received her Clinical Herbalist Diploma from the Wild Rose College in Calgary, Alberta, Canada in 2005. She has since been in practice as an Herbalist through many avenues including consulting, growing herbs, wildcrafting, and co-creating the Harmonic Arts Botanical Dispensary. She actively adds herbal and health tools to her basket through continual upgrading of her knowledge with a strong focus on Women’s health and wellness. Sharing information that empowers people to live with integrity to their highest potential is a strong calling that fuels her on this path.