When you’re making a Triple Chocolate Love Pie, there is always an extra important ingredient that needs to be included… LOVE
So take your time and enjoy the creative experience…
Everything else is great to have checked off on your list, but if something is missing, it’s ok, there are always options and alternatives.. So treat this recipe as a blueprint, and get experimental if you like. Just make sure you add the LOVE in, and your creative masterpiece will come out beautiful.
Before we get started check to see you have all the right kitchen gear..
- Food processor, (Hand chopping and mortar and pestle can work, just more challenging)
- high powered Blender, Vitamix preferred (sifting and hand blending can work too)
- 9 inch Springform Pan, or a pie dish will do
- measuring spoons
- measuring cups
- Method to melt Cacao butter and Coconut oil. Stove top pot on low-low heat works, though it’s not raw. To go raw, it’s best to place it in a bowl in a dehydrator till ingredients turn liquid or place a glass bowl inside another bowl with boiling water in it (raw double boiler).
Prep Time: 30-45 min prep time.
Set Time: 2-3 hours in the fridge, or overnight for increased firmness.
Servings: 16 small, rich slices, or 8 large decedent servings, keeps for up to a week.
(It’s very likely it will get eaten right away and never make it a week, due to its deliciousness)
Cacao Hemp Crust :
- Pulse cacao nibs or beans in food processor until crumbly.
- Place all cacao hemp crust ingredients in food processor and pulse until combined and forming a crumbly dough.
- Press into 9 inch spring form or pie plate and chill in fridge while making the Chocolate fudge layer
Chocolate Fudge Layer:
- 100g Cacao Paste, or ⅔cup cacao powder ⅓cup cacao Butter, 100g in total
- ½ cup Coconut butter, coconut cream or ⅓cup organic butter
- 2 T Coconut oil
- 3 T Dark Maple Syrup
- 3 T Honey
- ½ tsp True Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Shilajit Powder (optional)
- pinch Nutmeg powder
- pinch Himalayan or Hawaiian Red Salt.
- Melt cacao paste or melt cacao butter in the same way you did for the crust
- Add coconut butter or organic butter
- Or make coconut cream (place mature coconut meat into heavy duty juicer about 1 -2 coconuts or use coco cream, Artisana and Coconut Mana are good quality.
- Blend cacao paste, or powder butter mixture, coconut cream (or butter) and all other dark fudge ingredients in a high powered blender until smooth and creamy*
- Pour into pie crust and chill while making the pudding
* Without a high powered blender:
Simply Sift dry ingredients in a bowl. Blend the oil using a spatula or whisk to your desired smooth consistency, breaking up any bubbles or chunks by hand.
** Double the Recipe for a thicker layer of fudge. Doubling the fudge layer can add that extra layer of LOVE you may want to share with your loved ones.
*** Add a layer of fruit in between for an additional texture and yum factor. Layered strawberries, blueberries, and crushed hazelnuts definitely make this already awesome pie even more amazing.
Chocolate Avocado Pudding Layer:
- 2 large Avocados
- ¼ cup Cacao Powder
- 2 T Cacao butter, melted
- 2 T Coconut Butter or butter melted
- 3 T Honey
- ¼ cup Palm Sugar powdered (use a blender/ spice grinder)
- 1 t Mesquite Powder
- 1 T Maca Powder
- 3 T Orange Juice freshly squeezed (one naval orange is plenty)
- pinch of Himalayan salt or
- Scoop out avocado meat and place all chocolate pudding layer ingredients in blender or food processor. ( I prefer a Vitamix for this one) Blend until smooth, using a tamper if necessary, pour pudding over dark fudge layer and decorate with designs in the pudding.
- Top with crushed cacao beans, nasturtium flowers, berries, coconut flakes, cacao powder, and/or other ingredients.
- Chill in the fridge for 2 hours or more and serve with a warm knife. The best Chocolate Superfood Pie Ever!
* You may also want to double this part of the recipe, as it is absolutely Avocado-licious.
Meet the Superfoods!
Cacao -‘Food of the Gods‘
Known to the Aztecs as ‘Food of the God’s’ cacao was once a currency and with a rich history. Raw cacao bean is one of nature’s most fantastic superfoods due to its mineral content and wide array of unique and varied properties. Found in Africa, Ecuador, Guatemala, Indonesia and Hawaii. Cacao is the number one source of magnesium of any food on the planet, contains plenty of iron per serving, contains the highest concentration of antioxidants of any food in the world, and is also exceptionally rich in chromium, anandamide (the bliss chemical), theobromine, manganese, zinc, copper, vitamin C, omega-6 fatty acids, PEA, tryptophan, serotonin, and more. Due to its extraordinary concentration of PEA and magnesium, cacao is likely the single greatest weight loss food out there because cacao contains more minerals and molecules that actually shut off the appetite than any other food. Contrary to popular opinion, cacao contains very little, if any, caffeine. It has been clinically demonstrated that cacao does not elevate blood sugar in the same way as a caffeine containing food or beverage. Cacao is also a highly effective natural energy enhancer and aphrodisiac.
Raw organic cacao butter is the extraction of the fats from the bean, it is processed in a way that is not damaged by high heat, and therefore it retains all its natural healing properties. Excellent on your body and in your body. Cacao Butter contains tocopherols and polyphenols that can suppress free radicals and soothe skin irritations. Cacao Butter also contains the fatty acid Stearic Acid which may reduce levels of cholesterol in the blood.
Cinnamon- Ayurvedic Herb
Surely the most sweet and delicious of all the spices, cinnamon not only delights our taste buds but also acts as a wonderfully invigorating tonic to enliven body and mind and as an immune- enhancing aid to the body’s perennial fight against infection. By invigorating the nervous system, cinnamon can improve our resistance to the stresses of everyday life. It is wonderful for lifting fatigue and chasing away low spirits and apathy and at the same time can have a relaxing effect and reduce tension and anxiety.
Coconuts are said to help improve digestion and absorption of fat-soluble vitamins and amino acids. Also, coconut naturally contains saturated fatty acids that are antiviral, antifungal, and antimicrobial.
Coconut consists of 90% raw saturated fat, which is an important building block and helps to regulate hormones. This type of saturated fat helps to displace toxic hydrogenated trans-fatty acids and actually supports cardiovascular health. Coconuts are a nutritional precursor to the anti-aging hormone compound pregnenolone.
Considered to be the world’s most sustainable sweetener, and has the flavour of caramel and is containing potassium, iron, and vitamins.
Coming from Indonesia, Thailand, Philippines, coconut is exotic and delicious. Switching from regular sugar to coconut palm sugar could prevent the blood sugar crashes that make you hungry and then cause you to gain weight. Dr. Oz is saying it could be the best sugar alternative on the planet.
Maca- Aztec Superfood
Maca, like the goji berry, reishi mushroom, asparagus root, rhodiola, ginseng, and others, is a powerful adaptogen, which means it has the ability to balance and stabilize the body’s glandular-hormonal system, nervous system, cardiovascular system, and musculature. Adaptogens produce an adaptive response in the body to stress that improves homeostasis. Excellent for the Hypothalamus gland, Hormone health especially with women. According to most studies, adaptogens improve the body’s overall vitality by 10-15%. Rather than addressing a specific symptom, adaptogens improve the overall adaptability of the whole body to challenging situations and stress. Maca as an adaptogenic superfood that increases energy, endurance, oxygen in the blood, physical strength, neurotransmitter production, and libido. Exceptional for fertility and hormone balancing health.
Hemp- The Good Seed, Nature’s Complete Food
DeHulled hemp seeds are 40% protein and contain the perfect balance of Omega 3, 6 & 9, the oils responsible for keeping our hearts strong, our skin shining, our energy levels up and our immune systems healthy. Dedicated to supporting family farms, organic standards, total health, and Canadian home grown goodness, hemp seed is a daily superfood with superhero powers.
Mesquite seed pods have long been used in desert areas as a food source by the indigenous peoples, who traditionally ground them into a powder to be used as a flour or processed them into a sweetener, a sweet beverage, or a fermented alcoholic drink. For thousands of years, Native Americans in the southwest states and Mexico relied on mesquite as a food staple. Today, mesquite powder is a versatile food with a high nutritional and flavour value, because mesquite powder is ground from the entire pod, including the seed, it is high in protein, lysine, calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron, zinc, and dietary fiber. Mesquite’s sugar is in the form of fructose, which does not require insulin for metabolism. With a glycemic index of 25 and a high percentage (25%) of dietary fiber, it digests more slowly than many grains, preventing sharp rises and falls in blood sugar.
Shilajit- Ayurvedic Mineral Pitch Tonic
A mineral pitch found in the Himalayan mountains. Great yogis and sages of the Ayurvedic system saw animals eating Shilajit and eventually followed suit. Contains over 80 trace minerals, fulvic acid, and is a neutralizer of pesticides, bad estrogens, and toxins. Eventually, through thousands of years of time-proven benefits, Shilajit came to be considered the #1 tool in Ayurvedic medicine, the traditional herbal system of India. Shilajit is potentially the most significant herb one can consume in order to mineralize the body with the full spectrum of dietary minerals and trace minerals needed for human health. It is also said to have the ability to dissolve calcium oxalate and calcium phosphate crystals in the tissue and around the bones. Excellent in small quantities because of it’s richness.
Modified by Menaka Dasi and Yarrow Willard
If you are interested in other great recipes like this please check out Julia Corbett’s Book Sweet & Raw Pie Mandalas
All ingredients are available at Harmonic Arts Botanical Dispensary https://harmonicarts.ca/store/